Saturday, January 30, 2010

Poor College Kids Road Race-Race Report Cat 5C

Can't show any weakness by smiling.

Picking up my numbers and talking with Brian
Talking to Kev, he's giving me advice. "Ok, Kyle this is the plan, cross the finish line with everyone in back of you." Don't worry Kev, I did try.
Lining up.
Start. The start of the race was extremely slow and very sketchy.

Ohh, the 1K sign. My thoughts were YES 1K to go. NO! We're not going to catch the lead group. We were really close. Centerline rule sucked. It was extremely hard to move up in the group, because the officials were very strict about enforcing it. The turnaround at mile 16 was not well marked and was by far the worst part of the course, but I got through it. The last climb on the way back is where the move went, and unfortunately I didn't have the legs to follow, it was short and steep. Myself and one other racer chased hard for the last couple kilometers, but ended up finishing about 20 seconds back from the lead group. I was disappointed, but at the same time, half of the field was still behind me, so it was ok.

I learned that i don't like cat 5 races. It was my first (I've been racing juniors). It was sketchy, luckily there weren't any crashes, but there were some very close calls. Overall it was a good race, and I'm glad I went. Three more races till Cat 4.

No comments: