Saturday, September 18, 2010

Me Lifesaving?! Help!

I had my last longish run before the St. George Marathon yesterday, but longish was only 12, nice after 17, 18, 19 and 20. Craig and I both felt good after the run so we decided to head out to Lake Perris to try out my new wetsuit. (Blue Seventy Axis, cute blue daisy on it!) I really like my new wetsuit, there is definitely a difference between my old suit suits and this one. This one is not the pro model, it is one step down, it makes your butt float more than the pro model and we all know I need a floaty butt! Actually the whole suit is just a giant floaty thing, but can it get me through the swim----we'll see, all I can say is I'm doing the work. I'm tired, swim, bike, run, swim, bike run mornings start at 4:00 am and if I'm lucky (and I have all of my geometry and Spanish homework done) I'm in bed at 8:30. I now truly appreciate Sunday as a day of rest.
Oh back to the title of this post, when Craig and I were out at Perris we were swimming in the swim area but there was no one else there and no lifeguards on duty. I wasn't worried about safety there were two of us and we were basically swimming the perimeter of buoy line, if there was a problem the buoys aren't that far apart. We were heading back to the shore and all of a sudden there's a voice saying, "hey, can you help me, I'm having trouble can you help me?!" There were three teenage boys who had appeared out of nowhere, two were pretty far out and this one seemed to be treading water. We started talking to him, just keeping him calm and got him to flip over on his back, once he did that he was ok, luckily we weren't too far from the shore. The scary part is questioning your own abilities had the situation been as bad as he thought it was. I am just grateful that all turned out well.

No comments: