Friday, March 21, 2008

Honduran Jail--a fun week!! Brian's last e-mail


Well family, this has been an interesting week. I think about every other day I've been too busy to even go to our area to work (actually more than that now that I think about it) but such is life.... On Tuesday we went to the airport to get the new missionaries coming from the Peru MTC... we waited...and waited...and waited... and they never showed up. After a bunch of calls we found out that they were unable to get on the plane in the morning because they hadnt gotten visas.... so they were reassigned to the Lima Peru North mission until (if) they get visas.... so that was fun. We had announced all the changes for the new trainers and everything in the morning and were going to have 5 trios in the mission.... then at night we had to call and unannounce changes.... that was a mess. That and three of the zone leaders had their phone line cut, so we had to make the calls for them... FUN TIMES!!! so yeah, then on thursday we didnt get to the area because we went to do more audits in the pueblos on the pretty side of the mission... marcala, la esperanza, jesus de otoro.... In La Esperanza, some random guy on a motorcycle yelled out my name... went over and found he was a kid from an investigator family I had taught... that was an awesome family... surprised he remembered me. On Friday, we didnt go to the area because we planned changes ALL day long, from 10:00 AM to about 7:30 PM and we're not even close to done... We're changing a LOT around, changing zone leader's areas to put them in the same wards as the stake presidents.... It's crazy.... Last night I almost went to jail... thats a cool story... One of our headlights is out right now so a fake transit police guy stopped me to give me a ticket and it happened to be the only day I didnt have my license on me... after a while I convinced him tp not take me to jail but to let me take him to my house to get the license (we were a few blocks away) We took him to our house, talked to him about the church.... As he went to write the ticket he realized that next week the transit place isnt open, so its impossible to pay the ticket and if they pull us over again, I go to jail. He told us to the fee of 1500 lps. right there but we only had 300 lps on us... He quickly changed the fee to a 300 lps fee and as a favor to us was going to reduce the charge... so he pocketed the money and we dropped him off where he needed to go... so that was fun. Dont worry mom, Im not in jail... here if you just pay the cop 15 dollars he gets off your case and doesnt throw you in jail for what should be a fix-it ticket... so thats Honduras for you... So there are a few events in my week this week.... Im working on improving my attitude and finding ways to stay happy with my companion... He's a great guy, but we have different personalities, different backgrounds and ideas.... its fun, but im doing a lot better than last week. I found out who my next companion is probably going to be next change and that will be nice for me to end the mission.... Oh yeah, Elder Ahlstrom found a place for us to live... apparently its not the prettiest place in the world, but a little house thats dirt cheap ($125, summer and $200 fall) Looks nice on the outside and probably a lot better than honduras, as long as it has hot water, carpet and light i think its a lot better than most apartments here... so if you could forward this e-mail to him again, that would be nice... and find out how far off campus it is.... sma986@hotmail.com SO this week is change week... hopefully the new missionaries show up this time... If not, I suppose we eat all the great food Sister Gomez makes like we did this week.... Jeff is AP in Michigan? That's awesome! I'd write him, but we'll be home soon anyways... speaking of which, I got my flight itinery this week... kinda sad. Ill be in Ontario Int. at about 7:28 PM on June 10th. If you see DSG again, tell her I said hi, and I'll definitely have to pass by... Shes another person I mean to write but never find time to write... so yeah family, I love you all. Have a great week
Elder Brian Wright
P.S. Elder Clarke, our area president, says he keeps trying to call you guys but you're never home... so he might still call...
PPS As for Romney's mission being more dangerous than Honduras.... Well, he can think that if he wants. Mom, I'll talk to you more about that AFTER i get home on June 10th... until then, just remember my patriarchal blessing said I'd be protected... :) love you mom

No comments: