Wednesday, March 2, 2011

From the MTC

Hey family I am doing well. I have learned a lot about the country and the people. Some interesting things: I will teach all my lessons sitting on the floor and apparently will get nice calluses on my ankles from the way we are supposed to sit, also the people are super nice, their equivalent to our "how are you doing?" is..."have you eaten food yet?" We found that out this week, the people are apparently the nicest in the world so I am super excited to serve. Some interesting experiences I've had, we were teaching a Cambodian speaker in the TRC and he was acting as our progressing investigator and lets see I accidently said in Khmae "we need sin" when I meant to say, "we need forgiveness", the words are super close also one day my companion accidently said in Khmae " he feels happy when the people crucified Jesus" he meant to say sad also the words are very very similar. Another mishap was I accidentally started laughing at my mock progressing investigator when he said his parents had died already... he didn't mean to be funny there is the words "slap hauy" which literally means died already but if you use it in a certain context can use it like the phrase "dang it" in English. well I thought he was saying dang it and I was super excited that I knew what he was saying so I laughed but nope, I guess he was using it in the context that his parents had actually died already oops, but anyways those are my funny stories. Thus far the language is going well I can read ok enough that I can sound out any word and have the alphabet (largest in the world) memorized it is definitely a miracle from the Lord, nothing really else is new I'm just moving along fine and only have three weeks to the day till I leave for CAMBODIA. I love and miss you all. Love, Elder Wright
P.S. Tell Ally I hope she feels better, love you mom and dad

1 comment:

Bob said...

Thanks for the report. I've never heard of calluses on the ankles. It will be a great adventure.