Friday, July 18, 2008

The Spudman Cometh...,

Do I goeth? This was my question to Craig this morning after I finished my ride. The ride went fine, not particularly fast, but a hilly 20, I rode by myself and had plenty of time to contemplate all the reasons I should go to Spudman and all the reasons I should not (or do not want) to go to Spudman.
Reasons to go to Spudman:
Check out this picture from last year, note the beautiful dawn, and the absolutely glassy water (as well as those cute boys)

A chance to do a race and spend some time with my beautiful daughter

Celebrate health, it has been two years since my last ambulance ride, my leg has recovered as well as can be expected. I'm grateful that I can run and ride.
I can swim too.  Never mind that I'm probably last!!


Then there is the thrill of victory... a few hours of hard work on Ker's part, a few more hours of hard work on my part and we have a cheesy little spuddy buddy to hang around our necks for a few hours. Worn with great pride. Actually it is an accomplishment that no one can take away from you.  A few hours of hard house work is all taken away way too soon, where is the glory!
 And now my, top  ____ (I'll fill in the number after I count them) reasons not to do Spudman.
First there was:



I did this race as my first half-iron to prove to myself I could do it.  I underestimated the amount of training that should have gone into it, and the amount of recovery.  I thought a week off would be good.  It was more like three for my knees and IT band, which brought us right up to our vacation, and despite my good intentions other than a few runs there was still not much training going on, just a lot of eating.  This brings me to reason #2



How the heck am I gonna get that wet suit on after enjoying our vacation!!

#3  My Sherpa is doing Mt. Whitney,  I am extremely lucky to have a tri-sherpa, he encourages me, packs and lugs gear for me, makes sure I have everything I need to make the day successful, he also serves as the official photographer, cheerleader, bike mechanic, and keeps a watchful eye on a bunch of boys.  Tri-Sherpa is a runner, a marathoner who has BQ'd, this is good because I will never BQ, I support his marathons, he supports my tri's.  This will be my first race without him.
#4  Three of my boys were entered as a team, however, when extra permits became available for Whitney, they were there!!!  
#5  I think I have a little case of burn out, not for my bike or for running, yeah maybe for swimming, but I think next year I'll choose one tri (maybe just a sprint) and then do something like Whitney or some other backpacking trip.  I'm not really a hiker but I'm ready to do some different things.
So....Craig's response to my question this morning was, "talk to your daughtereth".  After talking to daughter I've decided to head off to Utah on Thursday, then we'll decide if we're headed up to Idaho.  Bri said he'd sherpa for us, if we don't go I think we'll just hang out and enjoy each others company.  I'll keep ya posted!!

3 comments:

Kevin said...

I vote go.

Melinda said...

Thanks kevvie

Kevin said...

I don't think you have ever called me kevvie before.