Saturday, July 26, 2008

Spudman Tri


At least it started out as a tri, but I was in the last wave and a man in the wave before us drowned. We had 30 seconds till our horn sounded when we were called back. They were unable to locate the man and decided to start us at T1 for a Du, just as we were all headed down to T1 (about a mile walk), he was located, we were called back to the swim start, the race director was unsure how to proceed, considering letting us back in the water and then decided to send us down to T1. My sincere condolences to the family of this man.
There was a lot of worry in our wave as many of us had sent off loved ones in earlier waves. Kerri was in wave 5, I could breathe a little easier when they announced it was a male.
The bike was ok there was a head wind and it just wasn't speedy-fast like last years. But I kinda feel embarassed calling todays wind a head wind, compared to Vikingman it was still. The run went ok, the first three miles were hard then I was able to pick it up and even pick off a couple of "not todays". My friend KR always picks out a few "not todays" in a race and goes for it. A "not today" is a person that could beat you on any given day, but "not today",  today you are going to dig down, and come up with that extra effort to pass them by. Last year I picked off my "not today" right at the end, and then as I was finishing (you finish on grass) I didn't hear him and he passed me, this year I was determined not to let that happen again.
A big thank you to team Janet and Wayne, we wouldn't be able to do Burley triathlons without them, they put us up at their beautiful Hotel de Janet and Wayne, help with the boys and cheer us on at the end on long, (sometimes very long) hot and cold days.  Another big thank you to Sherpa Jr, he took good care of us.



Kerri, Me and Bri (our Sherpa)



Kerri"s wave getting ready to start.



Craig, calling from Lone Pine to wish me good luck on the swim (that wasn't to be), he knows the swim stresses me out.


Kerri finished a tri, was it a PR?

Done the Du

1 comment:

Janet said...

You can come and stay at our place anytime. We like to have you. It is fun to keep up with all that goes on through your blog.