Thursday, February 5, 2009

Boys in the Kitchen


Track practice started this week. I now have the same problem with dinner as we did during cross country season. The boys are starving when they get home, they eat whatever is handy and then don't want dinner. I'm trying a new experiment, I told Brent yesterday to start dinner when he got home, toss some frozen meatballs into the microwave then into the crock pot on high with bar b que sauce and a can of pineapple and I would make some rice. He called me after he got the meatballs started to see how long it would be before I was home, since he was starving he wanted to make the rice too. I told him how to do the rice and we had dinner! I decided this morning it worked so well it's Kyle's turn. I texted him the directions for dinner (so he can't say he forgot, or didn't know what temp to set the oven). He's making chicken breasts, red potatoes (either baked or mashed, his choice) and whatever handy frozen veggie sounds good to him. I'm trying to keep it very simple just something they can put into the oven in about 5 minutes. We'll see how it works. It may not solve eating way too much of whatever is handy but they can't not want to eat the dinner they made (I'm hoping). Brent's pretty good in the kitchen he makes a great snickerdoodle cake (see Cake Mix Dr.) that his friends want all the time, I'm hoping Kyle will like the kitchen too. Anyone want to share their easiest dinner ideas or recipes?

No comments: