Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Kyle and Piano Lessons


I took Kyle yesterday to meet the new piano teacher.  We are sad that our old (not old, current is a better word) piano teacher is moving. A few years ago at a time when Kyle hated the piano, he would get out of the car for his lessons crying and slamming the door (if you know Kyle's personality you know that this is atypical of Kyle, he is a pretty mellow kid) I begged him, "Let's just try a different piano teacher and if you still hate it you can quit."  So we switched to our moving away teacher.  I never sat in on his lessons, I don't know how she taught or what she did (except he always left with a piece of candy in his mouth!) but I feel a deep sense of gratitude to her for the fact that my child is still taking piano lessons.  That is no easy feat considering the schedule he keeps, from early morning seminary, after school sports, homework, church activities and a few minutes to eat and sleep.  Does he practice as much as I or his teacher wish that he would?  No. But he has continued to progress and I am happy.  I watch Kyle sit down at the piano and pick up a piece of music and play it for his own enjoyment.  Thank you, for whatever magic you worked, it is truly magic to hear your child playing for the pure joy of playing.
We have stepped up our lessons and now have a professional teacher at the U of R.  When I called the School of Music they said, "I think Mr. _______ might be a good match for your son, I will have him call you."  His reputation preceded him, I gulped and thought, well you never know they might click.  Our meeting went well last night, he is anxious to get Kyle out of his current set of books and even had him sight read then skip some pieces.  He also assigned him a Grieg piece which will be fun to learn.  No Bri, not March of the Dwarves, you have marched them all off the cliff!!  Change is good and I think Mr. Intense will be a good match for Kyle.  

2 comments:

B said...

I love Grieg!! (and I haven't played March of the Dwarves in a long time, so it probably would sound like dwarves falling off a cliff if I played it now) I listened to a video of "Puck" at probably twice the intended speed and it sounds like a cool piece. Good luck Kyle! Maybe I should get a copy of the piece and challenge Kyle to see who could learn it faster... I think Kyle would win because I have next to no time to practice...

Melinda said...

Puck challenge on!!!