Saturday, January 31, 2009

This is why I ride

If you ride in Redlands you know where this was taken, and you also know that this picture doesn't do justice to the view or the day.  It is the most beautiful day and there is this one spot that has the most beautiful panoramic view of the canyon, sometimes if you're lucky there is a freight train running through there also which makes this picture perfect.
My ride today was like appetizers, veggies and dessert.  You start off zooming down Mariposa, to Garden, it's fast and downhill and you remember why you ride.  You remember when you were 7 years old and joy of riding a bike, you feel 7, sometimes it's nice to feel 7.  Left on Highland and the road flattens out, it's fast and flat, you're feeling good, then you hit Serpentine and your speedy boys drop you before you've even made the corner.  It's eat your veggies time.  I slow to a crawl (didn't put my Garmin on so I can't post just how slow I can go and still keep a bike upright). When I ride with my boys it's like sitting at the table (alone) picking at the veggies because mom said you can't get up until you eat three bites.  My friends and Craig are much more generous they will slow and chat me up the hills.  When you've finally gulped that third bite of veggies just past Caroline Park life is good.  It's dessert time, ice cream sundae time you're loving the bike and the road again, you hit the turn off where Sunset winds around the point and it's like the cherry on top.  That's why I ride.

1 comment:

Lorene said...

You sure know how to entice someone to want to get on the bike and go. I think I need to pick a warm place come springbreak and make sure that the bikes are loaded.