Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Old Jeans

My favorite jeans

I am sad this morning as I pulled my favorite jeans out of the dryer, they are history. They are so threadbare I really can't even wear them one more time. I suppose I should go on the "great jeans hunt". It is hard though to find "favorite jeans". I don't think you can go shopping for them, they just sorta become. I think favorite jeans are a lot like favorite friends, they evolve over time. They become more comfortable, the more you wear them, the better they are. They forgive you, what's a pound or two up or down, they love you when you dress them up or pull on your favorite old race shirt with them. They don't mind when you wipe your hands on them, clean the house in them or wear them out to dinner. I didn't go searching for this pair of jeans, there they were in a stack of jeans at Costco, they said, "Hey I think I'll fit you, take me home and try me out." They are far more precious than my expensive jeans hanging in the closet, rarely worn. I suppose I should have appreciated them more, maybe not put them in the dryer time after time. I looked through my closet for the next "favorite" pair. They aren't there, maybe they are, they will just have to evolve.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

At least you still fit in your old jeans :) Great story

Janet said...

I know what you mean! All of my favorites have holes and really should go...I just can't find any others that feel as good or fit right. I'll have to wait for them to evolve :) Loved the point of view.

Nadine said...

I also loved your story. I usually grow out of my jeans before they have time to get holes in them!

Lorene said...

We love your blog! I am kind of slow reading it but we sure enjoy your stories when we get there.